Since 2008 at SimSpace we have worked relentlessly to have a software environment to develop flight models from simple kinematic to full mission 6DOF.
This software runs on a conventional PC and it includes the following tools:
Aircraft Editor Tool:
- Input data in a flexible table look-up form.
- Aerodynamic coefficient buildup.
- Engine trust and fuel flow.
- Weight & Balance configurations.
- Landing gear and wheel characteristics.
Engineering Flight Simulator Tool:
- Fly the model with using any COTS joystick.
- Select any store or W&B configuration.
- Freeze, Pause or Reposition the aircraft.
- Change the wind conditions.
- Takeoff or Land from an airport.
- Monitor/Record/Plot engineering parameters.
Automatic Flight Test Tool:
- This tool enables the user to program any type of piloted flight test.
- Test can be visualized in real-time using the Flight Simulator Tool or offline up to 1000 times faster.
- A steady-state mode to find conditions such as: Trimmed level flight, sustained turns, steady heading sideslip, maximum climb, best rate of descend, etc.
- A flight test sequence mode to design any type of maneuver a pilot could perform: takeoffs, landings, climbs, etc.
- Engineering parameters can be recorded or plotted and trade studies can be made varying any flight model parameter (i.e. 80% and 90% thrust).
Flight Model Optimization Tool:
- Find the correct values for the flight model data (aerodynamics, engine, W&B, etc.) to meet specific certification or acceptance criteria.
- Optimization allows to define a target result by solving for multiple degrees of freedom within the model data (i.e. drag and lift coefficient required for a maximum sustained turn rate condition).